More Insight

Thursday, September 20, 2007

America

"America" by Pain of Salvation, from scarsick


You brought us the a-bomb, in so many ways, endorsed by God and The Book
So God loves a war monger?
Hey Mr. Blix: forget Iraq and the time it took 'cause I know just where to look: could we have a vote please?
They came with a song - America; they wouldn't stay long - America
We are America, God bless America
God bless America and Capitol Hill 'cause no one else will

So now you are scared the Arabs will kill for their god like you do for yours?
Protect your obesity with your life, man
Hey - Angry God or Diet Coke?
Who cares, it's all a joke
"Heil homo pecuniae"
Saving us yet another time, earning a buck on every dime
Sick of America, sick of America
Sick of America and Capitol Hill moving in for the next kill

A simpler democracy where every flaw and failure is called a "Right"
A new form of freedom based on your income, your color, creed and your choice of gun
But it provides great fun!
Dr. Phil or Oprah? Letterman or Leno? Idol or Big Brother?

It could have been good America; it could have been great America
Land of the brave and free welcoming you and me
But this Brave New World is not as new anymore
Each day a new store, each year a new war
While chosen whites rule the poor in America
America, don't you walk out on me! Just wait a second now,
Please hear me out - I'll do my best to love you, oh yes I will!
I know you're out there! C'mon, raise your voices!
Don't let them ruin your reputation!
Don't let them wreck your Constitution!
Not out of fear! Not out of greed!
But you had a good run America, your day in the sun America
Hello British Empire, hello Roman Empire, hello Soviet
There's a new kid in town joining the fallen down, finding what you found
Treading your worn, worn ground
Rise to your former glory! Be brave and warm!
Oh, America, if I say I love you, dare you love me too?

No comments: